Thursday, October 21, 2010

Couple of girls and a rough tutorial.

So I figure my biggest problem in drawing is that I am pretty good at static poses where people are just standing around not really doing anything. I draw that a lot and it really doesn't help me improve at all.

So I have been trying to press myself to do more dynamic posing so I can stop being lame. In kind of a second thought, I made it into a tutorial on colouring digitally.
I start with a rough sketch as you can see and I clean it up. I am not really trying to make everything all tight and neat because I am just going to have to redo it later. It actually helps if it isn't all neat because if I go over it in black, I will be able to see what I am doing better.
I am using Autodesk Sketchbook Pro by the way. I suggest downloading the trial at least to give it a shot. It is a good and simple program. Anyway, I use a new layer and draw the line with the pencil tool. I fill them in with the marker. This gives you the solid base you need to start painting.
As you might have noticed, I didn't finish everything in the last image. Some elements I do in a separate layer for a few possible reasons. The hair I did this way because it needed a redesign and I usually screw it up (I don't like it much right now as it is.) Her left foot was done on a separate layer so I could draw the full leg without it in front.

I started to colour in this image. I eye-drop the solid colour and I select a similar darker colour. Then I shift to a more blue-ish tint. It is very important not to use the same tint. I do the same thing for the highlight but I tint it the opposite way.
My painting techniques are random and difficult to explain. I usually start with the marker, since it only adds when the colour is darker. Then I airbrush it smooth with the same colour and back again with the basecolour. Highlights are pretty much the same way.
Here is a second drawing I did. Girl checking her cellphone.
It somehow ended up being Daria. But I am okay with that.

I was going to add my video of my 3D room but Youtube is taking forever. Might update tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment